Last Revised: April 22, 2021
This Policy describes:
- The types of information we collect from you or that you may provide when you visit our website available at: http://www.babcox.com/ as well as any websites and blogs directly owned by the Company, such as the websites of all of our brands (collectively, our “Website”), and any related data, accounts, profiles, forms and all content provided therein for the purposes of providing our products and software (such as but not limited to, magazines, eNewsletters, webinars, and surveys) through the Website (the “Services”).
- Our practices for collecting, using, maintaining, protecting, and disclosing that information.
This Policy applies to information we collect on our Website and Services or in emails and other electronic messages between you and our Website and Services, and information gathered when you interact with our advertising on third-party websites if such advertisements include links to this Policy. This Policy applies to your use as a visitor of the Website and as a user, reader or participant of the Services, including as an employee of our Clients (as defined below).
This Policy does not apply to information collected by us offline or through any other means, including on any other website operated by the Company or any third party that does not have this Policy linked at the bottom of the webpage, or information collected by any third party through any application or content (including advertising) that may link to or be accessible from the Website and Services (for further information, see below, “Third-party Websites”).
Use of the Services and any user information associated with those Services may also be subject to the terms of separate written agreements between the Company and its clients (“Clients”). Clients are generally businesses using our Services to promote or advertise their products. However, you, a user or reader of our Services, may also be a Client. When applicable, this Policy may be superseded by specific terms in the aforementioned written agreements between the Company and its Clients. If you use any materials from the Services, you agree to be bound by the aforementioned written agreements as well as any posted guidelines and policies related to the materials you wish to use, as applicable. If you do not agree to the terms of such applicable agreements, you will not be able to use the Services.
Please read this Policy carefully to understand our practices regarding your information and how we will treat it. If you do not agree with our policies and practices, then please do not use our Website or Services. By using our Website or Services, you agree to the terms of this Policy. This Policy may change from time to time (see below, “Changes to this Policy”). Your continued use of our Website or Services after we make changes is deemed to be acceptance of those changes, so please check the Policy periodically for updates.
What We Collect and How We Collect It
To ensure that we provide you with the best possible experience, we will store, use, and share information about you in accordance with this Policy.
Information You Provide to Us
Personal Information is any information that can be used to individually identify you from a larger group, such as data including, but not limited to, your:
- first and last name;
- email address;
- telephone number;
- mailing address;
- fax number;
- company name;
- company mailing address;
- job title;
- digital or electronic signature;
- resume; and
- comments or messages provided in free text boxes.
You may provide us Personal Information when you:
- subscribe to our magazines (either directly or through another company such as a subscription agency);
- sign up for email newsletters;
- enter a contest;
- participate in surveys;
- register yourself with the Website;
- participate in a webcast or webinar;
- submit a job application;
- sign up for any of our other Services by completing a form; or
- communicate with us, such as request information.
The information that you provide in each case will vary. In some cases, you may be able to provide Personal Information via email or free text boxes, such as contacting the Company to request further information. When providing your Personal Information, please provide only relevant information and do not provide unnecessary sensitive information, such as Social Security numbers, credit card information or other sensitive personal data. Additionally, we may ask you to create a username and password that should only be known to you. When you provide this information to us, you are no longer anonymous. Moreover, we may receive information about you from other sources and add it to the information you have provided to us.
When you wish to subscribe to one of our Services, you will complete a subscription form. When you subscribe, you may provide Personal Information including, but not limited to, your first and last name, telephone number, email address, country that you are domiciled, postal address, the name of the company you are employed at, job title, company postal address, type of business you or the company conducts and some financial information (i.e. total yearly sales volume or cars sold, if company is a car dealership).
Occasionally, we may offer webinars on various subjects or topics. If you wish to participate in a webinar, you will complete a webinar registration form. When you register for a webinar, you may provide Personal Information including, but not limited to, your first and last name, telephone number, email address, country that you are domiciled, company name and job title.
On occasion, provided that you have opted-in, we may ask you to fill out a survey to get your input and feedback about our Services. Surveys are voluntary and it is your choice on what information is disclosed in the survey. We will use your answers to improve the Website and our Services.
Automated Information Collection
In addition to the information that you provide to us, we may also collect information about you during your visit to our Website. We collect this information using automated tools that are detailed below. These tools may collect information about your behavior and your computer system, such as your internet address (IP Address), the pages you have viewed, and the actions you have taken while using the Website. Some of the tools we use to automatically collect information about you may include:
- Cookies. A “cookie” is a small data file transmitted from a website to your device’s hard drive. Cookies are usually defined in one of two ways, and we may use either (or both) of them:
- session cookies, which do not stay on your device after you close your browser, and
- persistent cookies, which remain on your device until you delete them or they expire.
We may use the following categories of cookies on our Website.
- Strictly Necessary Cookies. These cookies are essential in order to enable you to move around the Website and use its features. Without these cookies, services you have requested cannot be provided.
- Performance Cookies. One of our trusted third-parties, Omeda, provides performance cookies for our Websites. These cookies collect information on how you use our Website to help us understand how you arrive at our Website, browse or use our Website and highlight areas where we can improve, such as navigation. Such information may also include what type of browser you are using, information about the device you are using, associated IP addresses, and more.
- Functionality Cookies. These cookies remember choices you make such as the country from which you visit our Website, your preferred language, and your search parameters. This information can then be used to provide you with an experience more appropriate to your selections and to make your visits to our Website more tailored to your preferences. The information in these cookies may be anonymized. These cookies cannot track your browsing activity on other websites.
Of course, if you do not wish to have cookies on your devices, you may turn them off at any time by modifying your internet browser’s settings. However, by disabling cookies on your device, you may be prohibited from full use of the Website’s features or lose access to some functionality.
- Web Beacons. A Web Beacon is an electronic image. Web Beacons can track certain things from your computer and can report activity back to a web server allowing us to understand some of your behavior. If you choose to receive emails from us, we may use Web Beacons to track your reaction to our emails. We may also use them to track if you click on the links and at what time and date you do so. Some of the third-party marketers we engage with may use Web Beacons to track your interaction with online advertising banners on our Website. This information is only collected in aggregate form and will not be linked to your Personal Information. Please note that any image file on a webpage can act as a Web Beacon.
- Embedded Web Links. Links provided in our emails and, in some cases, on third-party websites may include tracking technology embedded in the link. The tracking is accomplished through a redirection system. The redirection system allows us to understand how the link is being used by email recipients. Some of these links will enable us to identify that you have personally clicked on the link and this may be attached to the Personal Information that we hold about you. This data is used to improve our service to you and to help us understand the performance of our marketing campaigns.
- Third-party Websites and Services. We work with a number of service providers of marketing communications technology. These service providers may use various data collection methods to improve the performance of the marketing campaigns we are contracting them to provide. The information collected can be gathered on our Website and also on the websites where our marketing communications are appearing. For example, we may collect data where our banner advertisements are displayed on third-party websites.
Your Choices and Selecting Your Privacy Preferences
We want to provide you with relevant information that you have requested.
If we provide subscription-based services, such as email newsletters, we will allow you to make choices about what information you provide at the point of information collection or at any time after you have received a communication from us while you are subscribed. Transactional or service-oriented messages are usually excluded from such preferences, as such messages are required to respond to your requests or to provide goods and services, and are not intended for the purposes of marketing.
In some cases, we may send you relevant, carefully screened offers from reputable third-party businesses or organizations. Many of our customers appreciate receiving these offers because they relate to their business or occupation.
We will not intentionally send you marketing emails unless you consent to receive such marketing information. All such promotional, research email messages, e-newsletters and third-party offers you receive from us will include an option to opt out of future email communications from that particular Babcox Media business, such as an “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of each email. Please note that by opting out or unsubscribing you may affect other services you have requested we provide to you, in which email communication is a requirement of the service provided.
Any such communications you receive from us will be administered in accordance with your preferences and this Policy.
Accuracy and Access to Your Personal Information
We strive to maintain and process your information accurately. We have processes in place to maintain all of our information in accordance with relevant data governance frameworks and legal requirements. We employ technologies designed to help us maintain information accuracy on input and processing.
Where we can provide you access to your Personal Information in our possession, we will always ask you for a username and password to help protect your privacy and security. We recommend that you keep your password safe, that you change it periodically, and that you do not disclose it to any other person or allow any other person to use it.
To view and change the Personal Information that you have provided to us, you can log in to your account and follow the instructions on that webpage, or contact us directly for assistance.
Information of Minors
We do not intentionally seek to gather information from individuals under the age of sixteen (16). We require the assent of all individuals under the age of sixteen (16), as well as their respective parents or legal guardians, prior to processing a minor’s Personal Information. We encourage parents and guardians to provide adequate protection measures to prevent minors from providing information unwillingly on the internet.
How We Use Your Information
The information we gather and that you provide is collected to provide you information and the services you request, in addition to various other purposes, including, but not limited to:
- Preventing malicious activity and providing you with a secure experience.
- Providing service and support for services you request.
- Providing marketing communications that are effective and optimized for you.
- Keeping you up-to-date with the latest benefits available from us.
- Preventing unwanted messages or content.
- Measuring the performance of our marketing programs.
- Contacting you about services and offers that are relevant to you.
- Sending you notices for subscription renewal.
- Providing you with information about products or services you’ve ordered, including web events.
We may also use your Personal Information to ask for your input to help in our research about our Services, events or products or to provide you with additional information about this Website and about other Company products, services or events that we think might be of interest to you.
How We Share Your Information
We may disclose your Personal Information to our trusted third-party business partners in accordance with this Policy. We work with a number of partners that help us process your requests, deliver customer service and support, send email marketing communications, and provide experiences that you have come to expect from us. We will not share Personal Information with any third parties except as described in this Policy, including the following:
- Specialized Third Party Services. We may employ third parties, and share contact lists to such third parties, to provide us with specialized services, including customer service, subscription fulfillment, research, statistical analysis, list cleansing, postal mailings, email and fax deployment, telemarketing and other information services. We also provide our opt out lists to those third-party companies so that those who opted out can be suppressed from the communications those companies send on Company’s behalf. We only deal with third-party companies whom we believe share our commitment to privacy and who will keep your information secure.
- Service Providers. We may provide Personal Information to third parties for their use in performing internal business functions (e.g., payment processing, customer service, maintenance, security, data analysis, beta testing, or data hosting) on our behalf. Additionally, some third party service providers may collect information, including Personal Information, on our behalf. Whenever possible, we require such third-parties to only collect and use Personal Information in accordance with this Policy, to maintain the confidentiality, security, and integrity of such Personal Information, and for no purpose other than providing us with our requested services.
- Compliance with Laws.
- we believe that disclosure is reasonably necessary to comply with any applicable law, regulation, subpoena, or court order;
- to respond to duly authorized information requests from law enforcement or other governmental authorities;
- to investigate and help prevent security threats, fraud, or other malicious activity; or
- to respond to an emergency that we believe in good faith requires us to disclose such information to assist in preventing the death or serious bodily injury of any person or Company employee.
- Information Transfer. There are circumstances where the Company may decide to buy, sell, or reorganize its business in selected countries. Under these circumstances, it may be necessary to share or receive Personal Information with prospective or actual partners or affiliates. In such circumstances, the Company will ensure your information is used in accordance with this Policy.
Location of Access
We do not warrant or represent that this Policy or the Website’s use of your Personal Information complies with the laws of every jurisdiction. Furthermore, to provide you with our services, we may store, process, and transmit information in the United States and other locations around the world, including countries that may not have the same privacy and security laws as yours. Regardless of the country in which such information is stored, we will process your Personal Information in accordance with this Policy.
Your California Rights
California Civil Code Section § 1798.83 permits users of our Website and Services that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of Personal Information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an email to [email protected], or write us at:
Babcox Media Privacy Department
3550 Embassy Parkway
Akron, OH 44333
Other than as disclosed in this Policy, the Website and Services do not track users over time and across third-party websites to provide targeted advertising. Therefore, the Website and Services do not operate any differently when it receives Do Not Track (“DNT”) signals from your internet web browser.
If you are a California consumer, as defined by the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018, you may be afforded additional rights with respect to your “Personal Information” as that term is explicitly defined under California law. Any Personal Information we collect is collected for the commercial purpose of effectively providing our services to you, as well as enabling you to learn more about, and benefit from, our services. You may exercise each of your rights as identified below, subject to our verification of your identity.
Access. You may email us at [email protected] to request a copy of the Personal Information our Website and Services databases currently contain.
Prohibit Data Sharing. When applicable, you may prohibit the sharing of your Personal Information by submitting a request via email to [email protected]. In your email, please explain how you wish us to prohibit the sharing of your Personal Information, and which categories of third parties you want to prohibit from receiving your Personal Information. When such prohibitions are not possible to provide our services to you, we will advise you accordingly. You can then choose to exercise any other rights under this Policy.
Portability. Upon request and when possible, we can provide you with copies of your Personal Information. You may submit a request via email to [email protected]. When such a request cannot be honored, we will advise you accordingly. You can then choose to exercise any other rights under this Policy.
Deletion. If you should wish to cease use of our Website or Services and have your Personal Information deleted from our Website or Services, then you may submit a request by emailing us at [email protected]. Upon receipt of such a request for deletion, we will confirm receipt and will confirm once your Personal Information has been deleted. Where applicable, we will ensure such changes are shared with trusted third parties.
We do not sell your Personal Information. If we ever decide to sell Personal Information, we will update you via this Policy and include a link entitled “Do Not Sell My Personal Information,” to provide you with an opportunity to opt out of sales of your Personal Information.
If a California resident exercises his or her rights under California law, including the CCPA, we shall not discriminate against that California resident by denying our goods or services, charging different prices or rates to similarly situated consumers, providing a different level or quality of our goods or services, or taking any other adverse action.
For Visitors in the European Union (“EU”)
Under the General Data Protection Regulation (Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016, or “GDPR”), individuals in the EU are afforded specific rights with respect to their Personal Information, or “personal data” as defined under the GDPR. For the purposes of this Policy, the Company operates as a data controller. Any personal data we collect from you is processed in the United States and under the terms of this Policy.
Any personal data we collect from you is processed in the legitimate interest of our business and providing our services to you as the lawful means of such processing. You may always withdraw your consent to our use of your personal data as described below. We will only retain your personal data for the time necessary to provide you the information and services to which you have consented, to comply with the law and in accordance with your rights below.
The Data Controllers are:
NAME: Babcox Media, Inc.
3550 Embassy Parkway
Akron, Ohio 44333-8318
EMAIL ADDRESS: [email protected]
You can exercise any of the following rights, subject to verification of your identity, by notifying us as described below:
- Access. You may email us at [email protected] to request a copy of the personal data our Website and Services databases currently contain.
- Automated Processing and Decision-Making. You may email us at [email protected] to request that we stop using your personal data for automated processing, such as profiling. In your email, please explain how you wish us to restrict automated processing of your personal data. When such restrictions are not possible, we will advise you accordingly. You can then choose to exercise any other rights under this Policy, to include withdrawing your consent to the processing of your personal data.
- Correction or Rectification. You can correct what personal data our Website and Services databases currently contains by accessing your account directly, or by emailing us at [email protected] to request that we correct or rectify any personal data that you have provided to us. We may not accommodate a request to change information if we believe the change would violate any law or legal requirement or cause information to be incorrect. Where applicable, we will ensure such changes are shared with trusted third parties.
- Restrict Processing. When applicable, you may restrict the processing of your personal data by submitting a request via email to [email protected]. In your email, please explain how you wish us to restrict processing of your personal data. When such restrictions are not possible, we will advise you accordingly. You can then choose to exercise any other rights under this Policy, to include withdrawing your consent to the processing of your personal data. Where applicable, we will ensure such changes are shared with trusted third parties.
- Object to Processing. When applicable, you have the right to object to the processing of your personal data by submitting a request via email to [email protected]. When such objections are not possible, we will advise you accordingly. You can then choose to exercise any other rights under this Policy, to include withdrawing your consent to the processing of your personal data. Where applicable, we will ensure such changes are shared with trusted third parties.
- Portability. Upon request and when possible, we can provide you with copies of your personal data. You may submit a request via email to [email protected]. When such a request cannot be honored, we will advise you accordingly. You can then choose to exercise any other rights under this Policy, to include withdrawing your consent. Where applicable, we will ensure such changes are shared with any trusted third parties.
- Withdraw Consent. At any time, you may withdraw your consent to our processing of your personal data through the Website and Services by notifying us via email at [email protected]. Using the same email address associated with your Website or Services account, simply type the words “WITHDRAW CONSENT” in the subject line of your email. Upon receipt of such a withdrawal of consent, we will confirm receipt and proceed to stop processing your personal data. Where applicable, we will ensure such changes are shared with trusted third parties.
- Erasure. If you should wish to cease use of our Website or Services and have your personal data deleted from our Website or Services, then you may submit a request by emailing us at [email protected]. Upon receipt of such a request for erasure, we will confirm receipt and will confirm once your personal data has been deleted. Where applicable, we will ensure such changes are shared with trusted third parties.
- Submit Complaints or Questions. If you wish to raise a complaint on how we have handled your personal data, you can contact us as described below. If you reside in a European Union member state, you may also lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority in your country.
Changes to this Policy
Safeguarding the Information We Collect
We use reasonable technical, administrative, and physical safeguards in order to protect your Personal Information against accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure. When we contract with other companies to provide us with services, we only share personal information with those that we believe share our commitment to privacy and information security. However, we can never promise 100% security. You have a responsibility, as well, to safeguard your information through the proper use and security of any online credentials used to access your Personal Information, such as a username and password. If you believe your credentials have been compromised, please change your password. Please also notify us of any unauthorized use.
How to Contact Us
We value your opinions and welcome your feedback. To contact us about this Policy or your Personal Information, please contact us at:
Babcox Media Privacy Department
3550 Embassy Parkway
Akron, OH 44333
Email: [email protected]